Wednesday, December 19, 2012

ADHD

A number of pundits commenting on the Sandy Hook massacre have drawn attention to a frequent connection between crimes of this sort and mental illness. This raises a question which I’m not qualified to answer.

It’s my impression that many boys are overmedicated. They are medicated for so-called attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). I suspect that in many cases this is just a way of sedating normal boys who are fidgety when made to sit still in a chair several hours a day, listening to a teacher. Many boys learn better with hands-on instruction.

This leads me to wonder if, in some cases, these massacres are a side-effect of psychotropic drugs. Is the problem that some young men aren’t receiving the psychiatric care they need? Or is the problem just the opposite–that they are overmedicated? I just wonder if that’s ever been investigated.

4 comments:

  1. Great questions. Check out this link:
    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/12/no-mentally-ill-people-would-not-have-become-violent-without-anti-depressants.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to non-Christian counselors talk, my considered opinion is that all psychiatric help is anymore is helping people to feel good about themselves instead of actually solving any objective problem they might have. Good Christian counselors have an objective standard for setting goals for their counselees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm far from being an expert, but I wouldn't really rule out schizophrenia as being a possible cause in some cases. I would imagine that a brain disorder that cuts people off from reality could cause some serious issues under the right (wrong?) circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mathetes,

    seems what you grasp has been dealt with already needless to say in the Bible.

    I'm thinking of these words and what happened to these seven sons.

    I suppose that is indicative of what modernity has come too, or not?

    Act 19:14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
    Act 19:15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
    Act 19:16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
    Act 19:17 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.
    Act 19:18 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.


    Geesh, just think. An evil spirit caused a revival in Ephesus! :)

    I suppose if the Church won't cause the next great revival, God will use evil spirits then??


    ReplyDelete